The Shellfish Partnership was formed in 2012 to help the Food Standards Agency (FSA) deliver integrated and cost-effective official food safety controls for molluscan shellfish in the UK. This is required for shellfish-harvesting areas, as described in EU Regulations. The Shellfish Partnership was restructured in 2017 to cover services delivered on behalf of FSA and Food Standards Scotland (FSS).
Co-ordinated by Cefas, the Shellfish Partnership laboratories (listed below) have an excellent track record for official control programmes delivery and specific expertise in shellfish safety. On a day-to-day basis the Partnership laboratories work to common standards to deliver the following services for the specified locations.
Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science (Cefas)
- UK-wide: Customer liaison; Partnership co-ordination and reports
- England, Wales and Scotland: biotoxins monitoring
- England and Wales only: phytoplankton monitoring; classification
- Scotland: E.coli monitoring (not for Shetland and Orkney)
Fera Science Ltd
- Scotland: chemical contaminants monitoring
Hallmark Scotland (HMMH)
- Scotland: sample collection
Scottish Association for Marine Science (SAMS)
- Scotland: phytoplankton monitoring; pRMP assessments
- Shetland and Orkney: E.coli monitoring
The following list of protocols and forms are used across the Shellfish Partnership, under the official control monitoring programmes.
- FSA guide to shellfish sampling protocols (link to film)
- From classified areas (England and Wales, classification sampling only) (PDF, 331 KB)
- From classified areas (England and Wales, toxin monitoring only) (PDF, 842 KB)
- From classified areas (Scotland only) (PDF, 590KB)
- For wild pectinidae for onshore verification (Scotland only) (DOC, 40 KB)
- FOR INDUSTRY (Scotland only) - Shellfish and water sampling protocol (PDF, 109 KB)
- From classified areas (England and Wales) (PDF, 168 KB)
- From classified areas (Scotland) (PDF, 3.30 MB)
Sample submission forms
- Classified area sample for biotoxin monitoring (England and Wales only) (DOC, 72 KB)
- Classified area sample for biotoxin, E. coli or chemical monitoring (Scotland only) (DOC, 106KB)
- Wild pectinidae onshore verification sample, for biotoxin monitoring (Scotland) (XLS, 41 KB)
- HMMH Industry collected sample submission form (Industry - Scotland only)
Sample submission forms for shellfish collected in England and Wales for classification purposes are available from the official control laboratories undertaking E.coli analysis in England and Wales.
- From classified areas (England and Wales) (DOC, 51 KB)
- From classified areas (Scotland) - label (PDF, 321 KB)